Sunday, April 15, 2012

Probably....a cone!

Probability is one of those things you just have to do over and over in order to grasp. I have implemented a "probability jar" into my calendar time, and students have really gotten a hang of the vocabulary. I just put manipulatives (like counting bears) in a cup, and we talk about what is possible, certain, and impossible before I draw one out.

To spice it up a bit, I am going to add/replace the jar with Probability Bingo! I was truly inspired by The Teaching Thief. She has a bingo board as a classroom behavior incentive. As I already have another type of incentive, my mind spun to a way to modify it for my classroom (I love when ideas spur inspiration!!).

I made a bingo board, and everything that is on the board is also on individual cards. We will draw a card each day or several a day, talking about what is certain, possible, and impossible. We will mark out what we draw, and when we get BINGO....???? Not sure? applause? Hooray? A treat? We'll see....:) What do you think???




Click button to get your own copy!!

Stay tuned for more boards with other math standards....

This would also make a GREAT math center!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! I love what you came up with. The kids are going to be chomping at the bit to talk about probability each day. Glad I found your blog. I'm your newest follower. ~Amanda @ The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete