Monday, February 27, 2012

Happy Birthday!!

There are so many birthdays to celebrate in February...Presidents, students, Dr. Suess following quickly in March. While I was out on maternity leave, my students said that birthdays were not celebrated the way we traditionally do with the birthday box and making cards. That made me a little sad, so I told the students we were going to have a birthday DAY.

To start the day, we reviewed the parts of a letter and then made birthday cards for at least 5 friends (we were celebrating all but 3 students' birthdays- all summer birthdays or while I was out birthdays!).

Then, we had cake taste testing and graphed it on our calendar.


Then students got to ask each other and collect their own data on what the class favorite flavor was.



They showed their data by using tallies and coloring in the graph.

Of course, they gobbled up the cake before I had time to even capture a picture! :(

Then I also read Happy Birthday to You by Dr. Suess. They had to write about what they would do in the land of Katroo afterward.

Students then picked a present out of the birthday box. (I wrap a large box and fill it with little gifts. They open the box and select their present).

It was a great, fun day.

I have the whole unit I will post later.

I must go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment