Saturday, January 14, 2012

Inspire Me #2

I was reading back in my posts and came across Inspire me #1...and was truly inspired. I had forgotten some of my ideas...good thing I have this blog to remind me! HA!

So we're going to have "inspiration days" and at 1am, my motivation is flowing! Why I'm not also in bed while my baby is sleeping, don't ask me. I'm used to sleep deprivation and am enjoying some time perusing the web and thinking of teaching ideas (many might call me crazy). I don't know about you, but just looking through my thumb drive is inspiration enough...I make so many things, save it, and then forget about it!

When I go back (just a few days!) I want to remind the kids that we can have fun and still learn. Transitioning teachers is never easy and I figure games might help us all ease back in.

It's always good to practice those addition facts. Here's a fun game for students to quickly play at a station or as a "when I'm done" activity. They simply put the cars on the road that leads to the number it equals.

In my creation of this game, I was thinking of a song my mama always sang to me..."Show me the way to go home..." Now I sing it to my boy...



I also am going to have them time and check their accuracy in solving mental math problems. They will use regular flash cards, and with a partner, go through as many facts as they can in one minute. The partner quickly checks if they're right or wrong (as they go), makes 2 piles, and the student counts how many are correct. They record how many, then try again. I thought it might be a cool, simple, motivational tool for them and they can put it in our data notebooks (more on this another time)!

Click here for the recording sheet!

Well, baby is cooing, reminding me I really should get some sleep before he's back up ready to eat!

Have fun! Oh, and, what are your inspirations lately??

No comments:

Post a Comment