Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Coming back to the world...

So, I had a baby on October 17. I am returning to work next Tuesday. I went to visit my class today...it is so strange;I feel like the world went on "pause" while I took care of my newborn. But, indeed, it did not. Things continued on, my class forged ahead. As I think about the class and the things I'd like to accomplish, I feel like it's another new beginning. Sort of like August, when everything is new and fresh and there's a world of possibilities. I hope for the energy to continue and to not let myself get bogged down with to-do's, paperwork, and lesson planning.

It is easy to get caught up in the rigmarole of paperwork, testing, and standards. Certainly everywhere we go in the world, there is a deadline, another meeting, an event we are rushing to. We walk a thin line trying to balance our personal lives, work and extracurricular activities. A new baby has helped me slow down a bit- I was fortunate to have 12 weeks to slow down. I want to enjoy my time at work with the students, and then come home and enjoy my time with my baby.

How do we keep the piles down and the to-do lists covered with check marks? My goal is to have one pile and go through it each day (a lofty goal as I am a notorious pile maker). I also want to spend my time in the morning getting prepped so that I can go home soon after work and enjoy that time with my new family.

As I make those goals, it does not cause the usual anxiety in coming with new goals that I feel I may fail. As a new mom, I've learned that eventually, I will figure it all out, and no matter what, it will all be okay.

How do you keep it all under control?

No comments:

Post a Comment