Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mentor Sentences

Last week, I found myself frustrated by my students "un-understanding" of pronouns. I have taught them every year, but for some reason, it was much more difficult this time. Instead of giving up, I tried using mentor sentences a few days later. I realized, they actually COULD use pronouns in context!

The lesson is something as simple as this:
The teacher writes a sentence: "The girl went to the park."
Then the teacher includes the students in how to change the sentence using a pronoun. What would take place of 'the girl'?
Teacher then writes the next sentence. "She went to the park."

Have students make up their own sentences, and then they can illustrate their sentences.
The students really did good. They all had a different sentence! Even if students copy the teacher's sentence structure, they are still practicing the correct way.

I'm going to compile all the students' papers into a class book. Then we will have a "mentor text" of pronouns!

Have you used mentor sentences or texts?

No comments:

Post a Comment