Sunday, March 1, 2015

Health Challenge

I've been getting into a much better balance of life...and it is good. It's hard to balance work, home, a social life, your health, your sanity, and all the requirements that come with each to maintain them. However, it is possible. I believe taking care of your health will help all the others come into balance. I have experienced it over the last 6 months. And everything else has come along into balance once I got my health under control.

Valentine's day sent me into a spiral of sweet treats...haha. I found some great recipes for grain free bakes goodies, so I feel it's not as bad as could be- but eggs and sugar are still eggs and sugar. And chocolate. Even gluten free chocolate is still chocolate.

So I'm going to go on my own little challenge- 100% grain free for 14 days to start. Why such a short time? Mainly because there is a LOT happening this month and I don't want to not enjoy life- like visiting family and such. However, it will be a good test to see how I do even with all of the family events taking place. I know that I will extend it- but I just want to start simple at first. Anyone can do 14 days, no? My mind works better with short term goals. Let's reassess after 14 days and see how we feel.

So...what will this entail?
100% grain free....
No wheat- or anything derived of it- which can make quite a list. See this list for sources of wheat on ingredient labels.
No corn- which also can make up quite a list (any ingredients derived from corn, like corn starch, corn syrup...time to read the labels). Don't get scared with these lists...just do the best you can.
Here is a list of all other kinds of grains

Basically, we're not going to eat what you think of when you think of carbs, and watch for secretly hidden sources like corn syrup and gluten.

I recently found out I have non-celiac gluten sensitivity (gluten intolerant). I have been off gluten for 3 months, and it has made a world of different in every aspect of my life. I think and recall information better (from having blocked out entire conversations I could not remember!), better skin, no stomach problems, no canker sores, less headaches, less joint pain, no psoriasis on my scalp, and just plain feel better. Even down to cycles my body goes through perform better. The outcome has shocked me so much, I have begun reading and finding out that this is quite common when people go off of gluten. Even if you do not have stomach problems, but other ailments, the offender could be gluten. Books like Wheat Belly, Grain Brain, and Wheat Belly Total Health (find on Amazon) have built up a case for me to try to be 100% grain free. If you're not sure about being grain free, I challenge you to first read one of those books. It will astound you. If you have other sources, please share! I'm always willing to read "the other side" as well. But with the epidemic of autoimmune dieeases and obesity, it's going to take a lot for me to ever be convinced that whole grains are "healthy" like we have been told for decades.

A lot of people think going off grains is too hard. You're right. It's hard. You'll have a few days of achy, headachy feelings and will want to give up. "So why would I want to feel like that?? Forget it!" you think. I know. But when you see how you feel off of it, just a few days later, I'll bet you'll never look back.

Take this in stages if you want. First get off wheat. Then corn, Then other sources. You may be more successful long term.

I'm one of those that have to go cold turkey. I do better when I'm committed right away. But it does help to get information and think it through for about a week, then do the challenge. That always helps me.

Since I'm already, and have been, off gluten for quite some time, it's a little easier to cut other grains out. The next two weeks I commit to no grains and will be posting my meals and hopefully pictures as well.

Yes, you will have to prepare your meals. Yes you will have to plan your meals. Yes, it will be overwhelming at first. But I promise that you will feel so much better!!!

Here's your first source of inspiration....
I'm changing Taste the Rainbow....instead of fake, full of crap skittles, let's eat real, whole food that is just as colorful, naturally, tastes wonderful, and leaves you feeling great!!!


Taste the Rainbow Salad

I make a HUGE bowl...I usually end up eating two bowlfuls, then have leftovers for lunch the next day, which makes it great for busy life!!

1 bunch kale
2 small heads of romaine (use other lettuces as you like)
3 small cucumbers
2 sprigs celery
2 bell peppers (I used red and yellow to bring out color)
cilantro, chopped
sprinkling of lemon pepper
sprinkling of celery seed
olive oil
sprinkling sea salt

Tear the leaves of kale from stiff stems- remove stems
pour olive oil over kale and add sea salt. Massage oil and salt into kale. This makes it less tough
Chop romaine lettuce and add to kale
Chop remaining vegetables and add to bowl. Pour a little more olive oil over everything.
Sprinkle on lemon pepper and celery seed
Toss together, and serve!

*If you need a little more "dressing" add some lemon juice
**After being off grains, the flavors will pop in your mouth, and you will not even notice no dressing!!

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for solving your lifetime of canker sores, and tummy aches. Cant wait to hear of these results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete