Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Thoughts on a New Year

The new year is always an exciting time. It's time to start fresh, think of things we want to do better, and give it a go. Some people don't believe in resolutions. But I do. I love fresh starts. I love the chance to start again with a clean slate. It helps me anyway.
So...did you make any resolutions? I actually didn't per se- I had started a better diet back in November, got back to exercise, and have really felt great. It was a good feeling to know that was already accomplished as I headed into the new year-ha! But I do want to be more in the moment. So, when my 3 year old is playing, watch him and play with him rather than send pictures to everyone what cute thing he is doing. I can always take a picture and send it later. I also have lists and ideas running through my head, but I am trying to save that for my alone time....late at night or early in the morning. 

As we think of resolutions, here is what I have learned that turned me 180 from a sad, dark time:
1. Seek God. He is light, even when you're surrounded in darkness. 
2. Pray. This is how you find God. Doesn't have to be fancy. He doesn't ask much. He's right there waiting for you.
3. Ditch the sugar...and wheat. Holy cow, I started a low sugar diet, and it completely changed me (inside and out!). I don't obsess about food and the inches melted away. And I'm not a hungry psycho. LOL
4. Surround yourself with happiness. I listen to inspiring people in my car, listen to music I like, and watch the news only when necessary. It has really helped me. Plus, if you know God, you know that all those bad thoughts do not come from him.
5. Take care of yourself. Get sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep. It matters a whole lot more than we give it credit for.

Those are my mini goals for this year...so far, so good. 
What are yours?

1 comment: