Thursday, July 31, 2014

Sticker mats to enhance vocabulary

Have you seen those Melissa and Doug sticker mats that seem to be everywhere now? I loooooove them. They're the 21st century version of vinyl window clings. Remember those??!? I loved getting them out each holiday and decorating the windows!!! The Melissa and Doug versions come with backgrounds, but they do stick to windows as well. 
You get a lot for only about $3.99.... I thought that was reasonable for a traveling activity.

We were going to be camping and I wasn't sure how long my little would stay entertained, so I brought this along. It turned out to be great to have. My little called it a game. It can be a free play, imaginative activity, but it can also be a packed full of vocabulary activity! There are so many choices and options for each theme (there are 5 included in the pack) so it's really appealing to kids. The colors are bright and pleasing.

 We sat on the blanket at our campsite, pulled out the stickers, and started talking about all the animals that live in the jungle.  We stuck them to the page and talked about the habitat too. It is a great conversation starter, and keeps the littles' interest for quite awhile. It helps pass some downtime too. :) My little is now saying things like jungle, bale of hay (farm scene), jaguar, and many more words. It's just like reading a book, but you're making up your own sentences! Just something a little different to do. 


There are different kinds to choose from. Click here to see them on Amazon. No, they're not paying me, I just love Melissa and Doug! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment