Sunday, March 4, 2012

Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss

We made Cat in the Hat hats for Dr. Seuss' Birthday. I know this is not my original idea...lots of people in my school were making hats for Dr. Seuss day. They turned out waaaay better than I expected- students really did good following directions. I drew a hat (free hand) and made tracers out of manilla file folders. Students traced onto white paper. I had cut 1 inch strips from red paper. They took 5, and I showed them how to make them evenly spaced on the white. They left them long, overflowing the hat size to let them dry.
LinkWhen we came back from lunch, students were able to trim the red so that it fit the hat (since it was dry this was no problem!) I had them cut from the back so they could easily see the shape of the hat.

Then, we watched the biography of Dr. Seuss on Brainpop Jr. (LOVE Brainpop!!). Then students wrote facts about Dr. Seuss on the back of their hat. This student actually wrote the wrong year of his birth, oh well! They were close...when we talked about it, she said, OOPS! haha

Then I used a sentence strip to complete their hat. What to do when wearing our hats? Why, READ of course!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment